The Sonnenalp Hotel in the beautiful Vail Valley has an exciting opportunity available! We are looking for a Sous Chef to join our hospitality family. This is an excellent opportunity for a young chef who would like to get leadership exposure in the United States. Visa sponsored by the Sonnenalp Hotel. Two year commitment.
The Sous Chef is responsible for effective hands-on management of the assigned kitchen. Maintains an orderly, organized kitchen and stewarding department and keeps all equipment in good repair. Maintains all standards as set by the executive management. Ensures a high level of performance, guest satisfaction and profitability. Guest satisfaction in our restaurant revolves around the food appearance, high quality of the food and overall dining experience. The Sous Chef is responsible for the daily preparation of food items in the pantry, fry stations or other areas of the kitchen. Together with the Executive Chef the Sous Chef is actively involved in making sure current food trends and food presentation are considered.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Comply with Standards of Service and assists in assuring the same from all kitchen employees.
· Manage a day-to-day operation of the kitchen, coordinate food production schedules and ensure highest level of food quality, taste and presentation.
· Participate in actual food preparation, produce food consistently high quality, taste and presentation and expedite during peak meal periods as needed.
· Control food cost by assisting in training kitchen staff on the proper methods of food preparation and handling, by training kitchen, restaurant and steward employees on how to handle leftover food items.
· Ensures that all kitchen employees consistently adhere to uniform, grooming and appearance standards.
· In conjunction with the Executive Chef, establish goals for the kitchen, anticipate and resolve problems concerning all facets of the kitchen, anticipate trends, enact approved profit-oriented and cost saving ideas/activities.
· Establish and require strict adherence to health department and hotel sanitation and food handling guidelines
· In conjunction with the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef, develop menus & create and ensure adherence to recipes and product specifications. Train kitchen staff on all new menus.
· The Sous Chef must maintain effective communication within the kitchen, be responsive to staff suggestions and concerns and work to resolve problems
· Maintain effective working relationship with food and beverage management, staff and hotel departments.
· Complete daily food orders based upon scheduled banquet events and projected levels of business.
· Conduct regular inspections of the entire kitchen/dishwashing areas and coolers and promptly act to correct deficiencies found during inspection.
· Interview, hire, train, and manage all culinary and stewarding personnel under the direction of the Executive Chef
· Assist with the organization of food festivals and special culinary events.
· Proper preparation and presentation of all food items in all restaurants.
· Set-up of hot and cold buffets including decorations in the restaurants, banquet facilities, and outside catering.
· Maintain strict quality control on all food items.
· Keep an adequate food inventory in all kitchens to insure an efficient operation.
· Maintain the set standard at the employee cafeteria and ensure that healthy and attractive employee meals are prepared daily.
· Ensure high level productivity and efficiency of the kitchen staff, schedule all kitchen employees according to business forecast and maintain a labor cost as set in the budget.
· Keep the food cost in line with the budget.
· Ensure that all kitchen/steward personnel conform to the established safety and health standards and codes as required by law.
· Evaluate products to assure that quality, price and related goods are consistently met.
· Develop policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality; continually updates written policies and procedures to reflect state-of-the-art techniques, equipment and terminology.
· Establish and maintain a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
· Provide training and professional development opportunities for all kitchen staff.
· Ensures that representatives from the kitchen attend service lineups and meetings.
· Periodically visits dining area when it is open to welcome members.
· Support safe work habits and a safe working environment at all times.
· Perform other duties as directed.
· Finished 2-3 year apprenticeship (Ausblidung)
· Minimum 1-2 years’ experience as a lead cook in 3-5* establishment (preferred resort)
· Intermediate understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills.
· Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures.
· Previous kitchen management/supervisory experience required.
· Must be fluent in English
· Spanish language fluency desired
· Must be skilled in the use of kitchen equipment
· Ability to interact positively with supervisor, management, coworkers, members, and the public to promote a team effort and maintain a positive and professional approach.
· Ability to produce a high volume of work in a timely manner, which is accurate, complete, and of high quality
· Working knowledge of various computer software programs.
· Professional communication skills are required.
· Ability to take and provide direction.
· Ability to work in a team environment.
· Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure.
· Must have problem solving abilities, be self-motivated and organized.
· Commitment to quality service, and food and beverage knowledge.
We are currently accepting Q1 (15 months) visa applicants from Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
Apply online at sonnenalpjobs.iapplicants.com or send an email with your informative application (in English) as pdf file.